Wow they grow fast


When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.” Mark Twain



I look at my sons and amazed at how fast they are growing ...both physically and developmentally.  I feel sometimes that I literally blink and they sprouted up and matured a bit. 

It was only like 6 months ago that I was still helping them with bath time ...a ritual I really enjoyed ...and as of about 3 months ago they switched to showers - by themselves - and my sole contribution is helping them wash their hair  - though they still want me to sit in the bathroom while this happens and talk to them.  I will take it because exile cannot be far behind.  The talks range from my input on which super heroes would win if they fought each other, about their friends, what they want to see and a range of things - but they are the times that I feel as though they know if they can trust me to sit and pay attention to the little things, "little" to me but monumental to them, well then as they grow they may realize that I am to be trusted with their "big" things. 

They have their own conversations with their friends, for long periods of time, which the other mothers and I try and eavesdrop slightly on ...but to no avail we have not clue what they could talk about so much to one another.  

All mothers think this but I have to say others have said this to - he (and the little one too) are really smart.  This makes me happy, and maybe a bit sad because the world is more confusing and beautiful - painful and wondrous when you are smart, but it also poses some challenges as a parent.  The questions are tougher (what are clouds made of - THANK YOU Google) and they will wait while I look something up for an answer.  Their arguments are more organized - "you did not say I could not play on the computer you said I could not play on the Wii - they are different".  Their need to discuss things leaves me with the need to really think of my response - to put it into words that make sense for an 8 and 6 year old when the question is not a simple one.  

Our talks are the stuff that I shake my head and smile at long after they are over but then I look behind me and they seem to be growing again.  I want them to stay young and even when they exhaust me, and believe me they tire me out, to be these wonderful kids who love asking me questions because they still believe that I know it all - or at least where to find it.  I want them to be thrilled to see me and not embarrassed to be hugged and squeezed and loved in public or in private.  I want them to enjoy being with me as much as I enjoy being with them.  I know they will grow and I will be not so smart in their eyes - ok they will call me stupid behind my back or in a text- as they hit those annoying teenage hormones, where a nod of the head a smile may be all I get as a greeting when they are with their friends and that I will no longer be "the most beautiful woman in the galaxy who all superheroes want to marry" at some point.  I sighed writing that.  It is all natural and part of who they will continue to evolve to be  - that does not stop me from hoping the foundation I have built with them now will not evolve in to a great relationship we will share for life.  For now I have got to go - because personally I think an Ironman (billionaire, good looking and with loads of gadgets) and Batman (billionaire, good looking, with loads of gadgets) combo could so kick Superman's butt and I have to defend my point to the two mini men who are waiting on my every word.....


“Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up.” – Thomas Wayne in Batman Begins





Comments

Popular Posts