Elvis and the American dream

Well, it's one for the money, 
Two for the show, 
Three to get ready, 
Now go, cat, go. 
But don't you step on my blue suede shoes. 
You can do anything but lay off of my blue suede shoes....as sang by Elvis

Thank you all for reading my blog about "Where is the Outrage?" -- the question I got over and over was "well what are you going to do about it?" - funny I was kind of asking the same thing of the unions and all those who are reading my blog.  Yet that is the fundamental issue here isn't it - we are all kind of looking around and wondering what if anything can we do about it?  The issues are soo large and they seem to be backed by money and power that we do not have ..or do we?

No I do not have millions in the bank - and I actually think that Mitt Romney should not be skewered for the "13%" he pays in taxes, because it is all legal.  There is nothing wrong with being rich Mr. Romney - good for you and your family but should the law really say that you at billions pay a smaller percentage, which you feel less in your day to day activities, than pretty much everyone reading this blog?  I do not think he should pay more but I do think if the highest is 33% then dude pony up and let's correct the tax codes that allow you to do it.

I took out a paragraph which outlined how I pick companies I shop at and companies I avoid but after the horrific and scary news about "legitimate rape" and the absolute inexcusable laws about birth control that are being proposed it seemed that we need to be OUTRAGED about that ...Choices are what make us individuals - no one wants an abortion you morons but the option to have it is a personal choice and newsflash it is not a viable being it is a cell...laws outlawing not only contraception but also arguing that any woman using it (notice nothing about condoms) could be considered a murderer...laws that limit information about birth control options ....who are these people and how can we ask them not so politely to F*&k off!!!! OUTRAGE is good in an election year - Vote at every level - vote and ask everyone who you know that supports freedom to vote too....if you think things are great and these laws basically which would eliminate any leaps that women have made and reduce them to wombs, if you think that you are safe because you are not a woman, if you think they will not then keep coming to tell you how they will use your money, how they think you should live...well dude you have another thing coming - and your Outrage may be nothing but Pussy Riot in the US - criticize at your own risk. The Founding Fathers said all men (and that means all people so don't get lost on semantics) are created equal - therefore, I equally want my voice to be heard and my choices to be loud and clear.

The title of this blog....well last Thursday on my way to enjoy time for a mini family vacation with my family I was reminded that it was the anniversary of Elvis's death.  At the time of his death I was on a family vacation with my parents, Howard Johnson's room - on our way driving to Florida (yes in August - because as immigrants we had very little).  My Mom cried and my Dad may have too - I thought Elvis was old at the time (the arrogance of children...after all he was only 42 - and boy is that young).  I realize that Elvis and rock and roll were America in many ways for my parents.  The slightly brash nation where a young boy from a one room home could become the King...music that did not confine itself to old world ways but broke through with a sensuality and sexuality that said here I am and I can do what it says in the country's charter "pursue happiness" ....the reality was that the US at the time of his death was in dire financial straits, gas prices were soaring, had an ineffective president and debt mounting ...but they were Americans and if that young boy could tell you to stay off of his blue suede shoes well then my parents too could have the opportunity to get a pair.

That is what we can do - put our money where our principles are (when you can and with no recriminations when you cannot - Target is my weakness - Walmart a place I will avoid at all cost) - write and write and write on your Facebook page, to your politicians local and federal, to your newspapers (they care if they think it will sell more papers).  Be glad to live in a place where dissent is still tolerated (Pussy Riot in Russia - typical Putin - scary for this ex-Soviet bloc child in so many ways) and actually part of what created this country.  Most of all vote in local elections as well as national ones..you are one but you are one of many.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness...Declaration of Independence




Comments

Popular Posts