I need a hero....

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson
As I watch the government unfurl, stagnate and stumble the song that keeps going through my mind is "I need a hero".  Yes in a time of immense crisis I am hearing a pop song that at last was used in an animated movie called Shrek.  Yet it fits perfectly.  


I am not in favor of big government and excessive taxation (after all it is exactly that excessive taxation that started the "shot heard round the world" aka American Revolution).  I also am not in favor though of cutting things that the good folks in DC seem to keep calling entitlements (by definition something you get for nothing) since as I look at my paycheck I know I pay for Social Security and Medicare.  How can we cut from those in need in this country while writing a check to any other place on the globe when they need it?  Yet watching the debacle I see now going on in Washington DC more than anything I am frightened for the first time since I started to watch the series of crisis that have hit both in the States and abroad.  


I think there is waste, inefficiencies, and overall a sense of total mismanagement in DC but I also think government is necessary and unlike private industry is solely funded by taxes - there I said the obvious! I know I am pained by the amount of taxes we pay every year but I also feel that we should pay our fair share, I should not pay a bigger percentage than the guy who makes millions but more than the woman who makes less than me.  However, there does not appear to be any one person in DC who cares about the country they are serving, they are so focused in a pre-election year on themselves that they forgot they are there to do the things that are not popular but right, the things that are hard to accomplish but move the nation forward, the things that are logical while not exclusionary.  The forefathers and past elected officials used to understand that on both sides of the fence.  Today they are just focused on making that fence into the brick wall that they can climb on top of to tell me how they will fix the problem next year, next year, next year.  There is no next year - there will need to be increases in taxes particularly on corporations (with some incentives thrown in to oh hire some people..looky looky a compromise already) and there will need to be some cuts of areas of redundancy in government.....looky, looky another compromise.  The people who are elderly and in need should not be blamed for the debt, nor should those who get the tax breaks, neither of these are numbers on a page but people and they both need to be treated with respect...the solutions are not that hard, come off the wall on both sides, look around and say this is the nation that was envisioned not the nation that was dreaded....there is no next year!

Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where's the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and turn and dream
of what I need........"I need a Hero"

Comments

Popular Posts