Medicine for the Soul....

"Medicine for the soul."  ~Inscription over the door of the Library at Thebes, how true this is for those of us who are lovers of the written word. 

I have always loved to read, since I could that is.  I remember losing myself in the wardrobe that transported me to Narnia, toward the hills that brought Jane to Mr. Rochester, to darker passions and erotic places with Anne Rice, re-energizing my inner child with Harry then bidding goodbye to Hogwarts, and most recently chasing bad guys in Sweden with a tattooed girl and her friend Mikael.  I look forward to moving on to new places where I stop and linger for a few days or longer and revisiting my memories of past stops.  It is still thrilling for me to walk into a bookstore where the staff knows my tastes and leads me to a  discovery I may have missed on my own.  

I turned to books as an only child for companionship. I write fictional stories as an adult to make up a life which in reality is not within my grasp, nor one I would necessarily want to do more than read about.  I make up tales for my sons which carry them to far off, made up places and always land them back safely in their beds.  I am hoping my sons will continue their current love of reading and stories be they in books, ereaders, or the tales they spin for their friends.  My well-thumbed collection of books has bound me deeply, passionately, and with strong opinions to friends who too found refuge in the pages they turned.  So if you are a reader, think back to those passages that have given you great satisfaction, brought out an emotion or just make you smile in remembering them.

It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.  ~Oscar Wilde

A book must be an ice-axe to break the seas frozen inside our soul.  ~Franz Kafka

Comments

Popular Posts