What I learned at Back to School Night

Image result for back to schoolWe recently attended back to school nights for my high school freshman and 7th grader.

Two things struck me, once again.  We hear a lot about how lacking US schools are, how they fall behind other nations.  The first thing that strikes me is that my two sons who have always been in public school basically disprove this at every turn.  They are learning at much higher level than I did, and I went to private parochial school, they are being exposed and well versed in the topics they will need as they go forward in life.  We are not wealthy school district though we do have property taxes that enable us to pay teachers as they should be paid, as the professionals who are tasked with educating our future citizens.

The second is that we may all benefit from taking a step back and remembering what the goal of education is.

Our kids are exposed to a plethora of information but really all the 1 - 12 grades do is deposit information with them and prepare them for college, or vocational schools.  They prepare kids not only with facts but with the ability to process facts, how to differentiate fact from hoax, what a reputable source is.  Wikipedia while useful is not allowed as reference, it shouldn't be.   They are taught to work collaboratively together and to not bully.  They are reminded daily that they have to take accountability for their actions, that they should always think of making good choices.

Imagine that - what we can learn from our children?!!!  While I watched the spectacle of the last Supreme Court nominee hearings I so wanted to put all the senators in a time out.  They did not exhibit the behaviors our children are held to account for in school.

Worse has been the backlash I have seen - especially against a woman who was the victim of an assault.  The people who commented on his or her memory are not qualified to do so.  She was credible and I am sure to many he was too, his angst was real at the end.

How can we teach our children to deal with difficult and varying issues when as elected officials exhibit bullying behaviors, disrespect for one another and most of all a lack of understanding about one another's view points.

It obviously has been much too long since all the people on the hearing committee have been in school and they could benefit from going to a back to school night to get a refresher. Term limits anyone?

I for one believe Mr. Kavanaugh was less than truthful in his testimony, I believe Dr. Ford, but that does not make any of those facts.  They are my opinions, not some crazy ploy from some tin foil hat patient who deals in conspiracy theories, neither is a fact.

I am excited for what my children will learn this year, for the experiences they will have.  I am not afraid as some have suggested, without any backing again, for my sons.  I am raising them to be respectful, informed, questioning and understand consent when it comes to partners.  They are being taught that girls are not a conquest and that their bodies as well as that of their partners are to be respected.  I do not shy away from telling them that sex is something for pleasure but that should be treated with the caution that it merits because it is a serious matter between two consenting people.

We can have differing opinions, we do not get to pick our own facts and truth is a defined entity not up for debate or ridicule.  The two people who testified last week both knew the truth, those of us who watched do not, we just choose to believe one or the other.  The ability to process complex thoughts, to look at situations and information from varying perspectives is what my kids are learning - maybe we as adults and as nation need a back to school night for our own behavior these days.


Comments

Popular Posts