It’s Christmas there’s going to a list

If you celebrate Christmas you always have a list, no matter what age you are.   Even if you are one of those people who will just buy most of it yourself, you still have a list.

When my children were younger we asked them for a list and they always pleasantly surprised us with the shortness of them.  Now it is funny when kids write those super long ones because if you look at them it is actually a lot of funny stuff.  Kids have no idea that Santa doesn’t subsidize the gift giving, they think he makes these things, nor do they really grasp cost.

As my kids are now past the age of Santa, they get the spirit of it but understand there is no actual place that makes it, the list is still short but it is a good time to talk about the finances of these things without making it a painful talk for both of you.

My older son this year asked for a sweatshirt, a sweatshirt that on sale was $204.  Yes you read that right.  It was originally $400.   Now I do remember my own teen begging for a pair of Jordache jeans that were $80 in the 1980s, so probably about $200 in today’s times.  I begged, I pleaded, everyone had them, my parents didn’t understand the horror of not having them.... on and on.  I believe I got a pair when I got a job at 15 at the deli on the corner of my block.   It took a while.   I was frustrated then it was a good lesson.

So when I told my son that is a crazy amount for a sweatshirt he responded with “it’s reasonable for xx brand” (nope not advertising for them).   It’s not reasonable - not for a 13 year old and not even for 15 year old.  I took a deep breath and told him about my jeans and then asked him if he thought that spending all the money he is given as gifts on this would be something he would do.  He said it was.  Then went and thought about it.  Came back with “probably not but I still like it”.

It is a balance during the holidays, we want to give our children everything.  We want to see those crazy, excited moments when they open a gift and ta dah, there it is.  We work hard and we love our kids.  There is nothing wrong with any of this.  What we also have to remember that everything we do for them goes beyond the moment, they will remember the gift maybe, they will remember that they got everything they wrote down without thinking about what that means.

Like everything else the list is a balance.  A balance between the pleasure you give and the lesson that it is wrapped in.   My kids will get some things on their list, those they do not they will have to learn to save for.   There is a thrill in being able to get yourself something, to work for it too.   It will help them decide what’s worth spending that money they take a while to save, it’s always funny how much more reluctant they are to part with their dollars.

Christmas isn’t just about the gifts but it is about the gifts too.   I love finding the right things for people who are dear to me.  I love giving gifts and let’s be honest when I get something that obviously has been bought for me with thought to who I am and what I love, it feels great.

Christmas and the holidays are also about enjoying the pretty decorations, traditions that your family has and time with people that you wish to be with.  It is many things and the gifts are just one part of it.

This blog is my gift to me, the time I take to write it is precious, the fact that is read makes me feel like I unwrap something everytime I see someone has.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy whatever other holiday you may celebrate.

Comments

Popular Posts