All those things you didn't say

   Not too long ago a classmate of mine passed away suddenly.  We were no longer close, if I was to be honest we were casual friends even in high school.  However, we kept in touch via FB and had just exchanged a few lines about a week before he died.  

It got me thinking of all the things we may not say - either because we forgot or because we feel there will be another time or are afraid of what we may not get back - to those people we care about.  Sometimes we are just busy saying all the things that we feel they need to hear (advice with good intent).  Other times we just think of them as always going to be here.

I was sad to hear my classmate had died - he was young and had a great smile that even after all of these years would light up the page when you saw it even just on FB.   He was a good guy.  I am not sure I ever told him what a good guy he was because in my mind he knew it, he lived it, we were not that close, and a host of other reasons.  

Tell the people that you still get butterflies when they walk into a room and that their touch still makes you shiver.  Tell your friends that their support is essential to your well being and that you are grateful for every moment that they give you of their very busy lives. 

Time and life are funny things -- they are not as long or as under our control as we think they are.  This is a short blog because I want to take some time to make a small list for each of those people in my lives who may hear my I love you but not the things that run through my head about them, the little things that have mattered so much over the years.  

It is hard to be in a place where you remember all the things you didn't say if you can't say them anymore.  

It's only words, and words are all
I have to take your heart away
You think that I don't even mean
A single word I say
It's only words, and words are all
I have to take your heart away...Bee Gees




Comments

Popular Posts